We officially have almost two full weeks left of our first semester in College! I have to say that it seems to go by a bazillion times faster than it did during high school. I can't believe how close Christmas is! But before I discuss what's going on right now, I'll go over my Thanksgiving with you!
Amie and I wanted to spend Thanksgiving with her family this year, and we plan to spend Christmas with my family. The first day we went into town was Tuesday. I stayed the night with my family and Amie stayed with her mom. My family went to Westgate to watch the Christmas tree lighting, and then to Johnny Rockets for dinner. It was actually a really nice time, which was reallllly good because I never know how visits with them will go... But lately they have been so great.
The next day I just hung out with the family, and then Amie picked me up around 4 to go to her grandma's. Here we began prepping for Thanksgiving dinner the next day! We put so much hard work into cooking, cleaning, setting up, and tearing down everything on and before Thanksgiving! It really was a lot of work, but it was worth the nice time we had with her family.
That night, we went "Black Friday" shopping with Amie's aunt and cousins. Except it was Thursday this year when all the sales started, so it was really Black Thursday. The next day we just relaxed and then went to Glendale Glitters with my family! Little Lorelei was as cute as can be! I love sharing in her experiences...especially ones with tons of bouncy houses. :)
On Saturday, we hung out with some friends, and Sunday we came back up to NAU. :( We SO did not want our Thanksgiving break to end...it was TOO short!
But now that brings me back to the present time. I had an extreme hassle earlier in the week trying to get paperwork sent over to NAU from my doctor in Glendale regarding disability resources at the school here. I have been working with my doctor trying to have this paperwork filled out for over a month. I finally get it here, and the guy at disability resources tells me that they cannot help me with anything that happened earlier in the semester prior to when I turned in proof of my "disability", which is just Fibromyalgia.
Basically, I started off the year hoping I wouldn't need any special accommodations. I didn't really know how the new diagnosis would affect me in college, so I wanted to see if I could handle it on my own. What I shortly realized is that I couldn't do it on my own. I am only allowed 5 absences in my bio class. I have missed 6. Once I saw that I was having a hard time meeting my teacher's attendance requirements, I quickly took the trip to Disability Resources and asked them what I needed to do. They told me to go online and find the requirements my doctor needed to document and then to bring them my paperwork...however, they failed to tell me that they would not be able to help me for anything that happened before I filed paperwork! I put all this hard work into getting all the paperwork all to find out that they can't even help me! I teared up a bit, thinking of the 5% grade drop I would be receiving in Biology now. And I just don't understand how Disability Resources can have that policy. They are supposed to be there to HELP me. Instead, I feel more helpless after talking to them...The good thing, however, is that if I am approved, they can help me next semester. Now all I can do is hope that my Bio professor cuts me some slack since I am a good student...we'll see.
That's really all that's new. We go home Friday the 7th, which is the day after Lorelei's 7th birthday! Oh my gosh! I can't believe she's going to be 7! And then we leave for Christmas break Thursday the 13th at around 11! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment